The Bridge exercise is one of the easiest and best ways to get those glutes (bum muscles) working. We use the bridge almost everyday and it is great for those who suffer from low back, hip and knee pain or those just wanting to increase their glute strength.
It is one of the best exercises to do for desk workers with low back tightness due to long periods sitting.
Do I need any Equipment?
The beauty of this exercise is that there is no need for any equipment.
- Begin lying on your back with your knees bent and feet shoulder width apart
- Squeezing your glutes (bum muscles) and tightening your core muscles, raise your hips off the ground, while keeping your feet and shoulders on the floor.
- Hold the bridge for 2 seconds then slowly lower your hips back to the ground.
The position of your feet will determine which muscles work harder. Depending on your injury or goal, the feet position will need to change. If in doubt, mix it up each time!
- The closer your feet are to your hips, the more glute muscles will work
- The further your feet are from your hips the more hamstring muscles will work
When you have been able to complete 10-15 double leg bridges you can make it harder by using only one leg. The single leg variation is done in the same way, just with one leg remaining raised in the air.
You can also place weights over your hips to provide extra resistance and increase the difficulty.
Give them a go. If you are experiencing any pain during the exercise then stop and let us know. Click here to send us a message and one of our team at Active Answers Physio in Seaforth will help you out.